Saturday, March 14, 2009

Writing Quotes of the Day

"The work never matches the dream of perfection the artist has to start with."
William Faulkner

"The good writer, the great writer, has what I have called the three S's: the power to see, to sense, and to say. That is, he is perceptive, he is feeling, and he has the power to express in language what he observes and reacts to."
Lawrence Clark Powell

"Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron, which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience."
Henry David Thoreau

"Through joy and through sorrow, I wrote. Through hunger and through thirst, I wrote. Through good report and through ill report, I wrote. Through sunshine and through moonshine, I wrote. What I wrote it is unnecessary to say."
Edgar Allan Poe

"What is needed is, in the end, simply this: solitude, great inner solitude. Going into yourself and meeting no one for hours on end - that is what you must be able to attain."
Rainer Maria Rilke

"The greatest part of a writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book."
Samuel Johnson

"It is my ambition to say in ten sentences; what others say in a whole book."
Friedrich Nietzsche

"Writing crystallizes thought and thought produces action."
Paul J. Meyer

"We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled. The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out."
Ray Bradbury

"In the beginning you may be writing around what you want to say instead of getting to the core. Keep writing. The route may be circuitous but after you zero in on what you truly want to say, you'll see that during all those false starts and detoured storylines, you weren't wasting time, as you feared. You were developing as a writer, developing a discerning eye and ear, finding your own voice, learning to respect self-imposed deadlines."
Madeleine Costigan




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Morgan Mandel said...

I like the one about turning over half the library to make one book.

I've got stacks of how-to books at home. Trouble is I have so many, sometimes I forget which ones I have.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

A Wildflower said...

I had to steal the quote by Madeleine Costigan. It is so inspiring for those of us who are in the developing phase. Thank you!