Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Quotes about Writing

“Find the key emotion; this may be all you need know to find your short story.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

“No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.” - Robert Frost

“The writer who cares more about words than about story – characters, action, setting, atmosphere – is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart – and its cargo – from the horse.” - John Gardner

“We read five words on the first page of a really good novel and we begin to forget that we are reading printed words on a page; we begin to see images.” - John Gardner

“It's better to write about things you feel than about things you know about.” - L. P. Hartley

1 comment:

critin said...

>“It's better to write about things you feel than about things you know about.” - L. P. Hartley<

I saw the title 'Writing Tips' somewhere and had to check out the Blog. It looks good and I'll probably check back for some tips.

I wanted, (needed?) to comment on this quote that jumped out at me. He's contradicting himself in one line. Is that a record of some kind? How can 'what you feel' be separated from 'what you know'? If you're going to write 'what you feel', it must come from inside, and inside is right alongside 'what you know'

I find so many that just don't get what 'write what you know' means. Of course, this is only my Opinion, but it's a right opinion. lol

I'm glad I found your blog and hope you understand what I'm trying to say.