Thursday, April 24, 2008

Words of Wisdom

Colette:
I love my past. I love my present. I'm not ashamed of what I've had, and I'm not sad because I have it no longer.

Corita Kent:
Love the moment. Flowers grow out of dark moments. Therefore, each moment is vital. It affects the whole. Life is a succession of such moments and to live each, is to succeed.

Dorothy Thompson:
Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live.

Edith Wharton:
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered through personal experience does not become a part of the moral tissue.

Edna St. Vincent Millay:
My candle burns at both its ends;
It will not last the night;
But oh, my foes, and oh, my friends --
It gives a lovely light.

Edna St. Vincent Millay:
Life is a quest and love a quarrel...

Elbert Hubbard:
Life is just one damned thing after another.

Elbert Hubbard:
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Eleanor Roosevelt:
I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life.

Elie Wiesel:
The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.


Elizabeth Drew:
The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it.

Emily Dickinson:
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain.
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Emily Dickinson:
That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet.

Ernest Becker:
The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.

F. Forrester Church:
Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die.

Franklin P. Jones:
Love doesn't make the world go 'round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile.

Frederick Buechner:
The life I touch for good or ill will touch another life, and that in turn another, until who knows where the trembling stops or in what far place my touch will be felt.

Friedrich Nietzsche:
And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh.

George Bernard Shaw:
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

George Eliot:
What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?

George Sand:
Life resembles a novel more often than novels resemble life.

No comments: