Monday, March 9, 2009

I'm not sure I believe in...

I'm not sure I believe in...

...writer's block. I do believe in people wanting so badly to be writers, but really have little, if nothing to say.

...freelance writing gurus. I do believe that most them are nothing but hucksters making their money from writing books on how to become a freelance writer, rather than actually doing it. Just like all those middle-of-the-night informercial guys selling their programs on how to make money investing in real estate.

...starving artists. I do believe in self-fulfilling prophecies.

...teaching people how to become writers. I do believe you can make people better, help them understand craft and grammar and the such, but the talent for putting words together is something that comes from such a different, distant place.

...poetry contests. I do believe that 99% of them are scams preying on the desperation of aspiring poets looking for validation.



Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Alyssa Ast said...

Very well written and very well said!

sapheyerblu said...

I don't believe in writer's block. I used to until it dawned on me that there are ways of making yourself write no matter what. I don't believe in writing gurus as I've been taught to believe that no matter how good you are, there is always someone better and worse than you. And I don't believe in poetry contests because I'm one of the schmucks who fell for the hype. :)