Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Writing Quotes of the Day

"The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."
Albert Camus

"Deliver me from writers who say the way they live doesn't matter. I'm not sure a bad person can write a good book, If art doesn't make us better, then what on earth is it for."
Alice Walker

"Even those who write against fame wish for the fame of having written well, and those who read their works desire the fame of having read them."
Blaise Pascal

"One of the obligations of the writer is to say or sing all that he or she can, to deal with as much of the world as becomes possible to him or her in language."
Denise Levertov

"English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education -- sometimes it's sheer luck, like getting across the street."
E.B. White

"The test of literature is, I suppose, whether we ourselves live more intensely for the reading of it."
Elizabeth Drew

"There was never a good biography of a good novelist. There couldn't be. He is too many people if he's any good."
F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love these. Great post. I may be "borrowing" some of those words if people don't stop asking me why I write.