Monday, May 12, 2008

Writing Quotes of the Day

"I put a piece of paper under my pillow, and when I could not sleep I wrote in the dark."
Henry David Thoreau

"Writing is an adventure."
Winston Churchill

"Know something, sugar? Stories only happen to people who can tell them."
Allan Gurganus

"... only he is an emancipated thinker who is not afraid to write foolish things." Anton Chekhov

"A poet is someone who stands outside in the rain hoping to be struck by lightening."
James Dickey

"It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous."
Robert Benchley

"You ask for the distinction between the terms "Editor" and "Publisher": an editor selects manuscripts; a publisher selects editors."
M. Lincoln Schuster

"A writer lives, at least, in a state of astonishment. Beneath any feeling he has of the good or evil of the world lies a deeper one of wonder at it all. To transmit that feeling, he writes."
William Sansom

"I don't like to write, but I love to have written."
Michael Kanin

"However great a man's natural talent may be, the art of writing cannot be learned all at once."
Jean Jacques Rousseau

No comments: