Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Writing Quotes of the Day

"…therein is in writing the constant joy of sudden discovery, of happy accident." H.L. Mencken

"Take away the art of writing from this world, and you will probably take away its glory."
Chateaubriand

"You must write for yourself, above all. That is [your] only hope of creating something beautiful."
Gustave Flaubert

"Writing well is at one and the same time good thinking, good feeling, and good expression; it is having wit, soul, and taste, all together."
Buffon

"To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make."
Truman Capote

"I always do the first line well, but I have trouble with the others."
Moliere

"A writer lives, at best, in a state of astonishment."
William Sansom

"All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath."
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"You become a writer because you need to become a writer - nothing else."
Grace Paley

"Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else."
Gloria Steinem

No comments: