Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Writing Quotes of the Day

"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again."
Oscar Wilde

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
Cyril Connolly

"I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork." Peter de Vries
"A writer is working when he's staring out of the window."
Burton Rascoe

"The secret of popular writing is never to put more on a given page than the common reader can lap off it with no strain whatsoever on his habitually slack attention." Ezra Pound

"I try to leave out the parts that people skip."
Elmore Leonard

"Nothing you write, if you hope to be any good, will ever come out as you first hoped."
Lillian Helman

"I never knew what was meant by choice of words. It was one word or none."
Robert Frost

"Look for all fancy wordings and get rid of them…Avoid all terms and expressions, old or new, that embody affectation."
Jacques Barzun

"You must write every single day of your life…You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads….may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world."
Ray Bradbury

No comments: