Sunday, January 18, 2009

Writing Quotes of the Day



"I am irritated by my own writing. I am like a violinist whose ear is true, but whose fingers refuse to reproduce precisely the sound he hears within."-Gustave Flaubert

"Don't use metaphors in fantasy; your readers will take them literally. Or they may take them figuratively -- but if so, they'll also take your magics and transformations figuratively. Either way, you're in trouble."-Teresa Nielsen Hayden

"The literary world is made up of little confederacies, each looking upon its own members as the lights of the universe; and considering all others as mere transient meteors, doomed to soon fall and be forgotten, while its own luminaries are to shine steadily into immortality."-Washington Irving

"Writers write about what obsesses them. You draw those cards. I lost my mother when I was 14. My daughter died at the age of 6. I lost my faith as a Catholic. When I'm writing, the darkness is always there. I go where the pain is."-Anne Rice

"We read five words on the first page of a really good novel and we begin to forget that we are reading printed words on a page; we begin to see images."-John Gardner

No comments: