Thursday, February 19, 2009

Five Things I Love About Freelance Writing


Five Things I Love About Freelance Writing

1) The hours: I can wake up at three in the morning if I feel like it, and, if I feel like it, be writing at four.

2) The travel: If the work isn't taking me to some exotic locale on assignment (been to Mexico twice by cruise ship, Vancouver, La Jolla, South Beach), it's taking me 30 feet from my bed to home office to write.

3) The freedom of choice: Unless I'm desperate, I write about what I want to write about and don't write what I don't want to write about. And I write for editors I enjoy working with and avoid like the plague those I don't. Can I hear an Amen!?

4) The variety: I have to admit I get a major tingle seeing my byline in different publications.

5) The per-word pay rate: If I got paid by the word all my life, say, between $1 and $2, I'd be a very wealthy man right now.



Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

~Jamie said...

Yeah, it's so great that, unless you're an established author, you have no shot at it. :)

Stinks for us noobs.

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Wow, you've been all those places?! Awesome! That is really inspiring. The thing is, you've been at this for a lot of years and you've earned all this stuff, Mike. I know by persisting and continuing to fight for my dreams, my trips and adventures will come... in time. :-)

Thanks for sharing!

*smiles*
Michele

Unknown said...

Keep the faith, Jamie. I was newbie myself once. Be patient, but plug away. Good luck! Mike

The EcoDiva said...

Mike,
Sounds like you have a great gig ;)
I love my freelance writing for the same reasons (ok...minus the fabulous trips...for now). For now, I get to tickle my toddler, set my own hours...and work when I want to. I LOVE my topics so I can write about it endlessly.

Thanks for the reminders ;)
Write on !!

sapheyerblu said...

There is one more thing. For those of us who aren't able to visit all those exotic locales, we can still take virtual vacations. We can write about any location on Earth, simply by checking out the many websites dedicated to each place. A little background music, and a drink with a tiny umbrella and you're all set. Of course the kids look at you funny, but you get used to that. :)