Thursday, February 19, 2009

Writing Quotes of the Day


“I have no theory of stories, just a theory for each story I write. A particular form is right for a given story and that's all. I don't like generalizations about literature -- I think the general is the enemy of the particular and the particular is the friend of the writer.”
Tobias Wolff

“Write while the heat is in you. The writer who postpones the recording of his thoughts uses an iron which has cooled to burn a hole with. He cannot inflame the minds of his audience.”
Henry David Thoreau

“A writer is somebody for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people.”
Thomas Mann

“Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow the talent to the dark place where it leads.”
Erica Jong

“I learned that you should feel when writing, not like Lord Byron on a mountain top, but like a child stringing beads in kindergarten - happy, absorbed and quietly putting one bead on after another.”
Brenda Ueland

“Being a real writer means being able to do the work on a bad day.”
Norman Mailer

“Successful writers are not the ones who write the best sentences. They are the ones who keep writing. They are the ones who discover what is most important and strangest and most pleasurable in themselves, and keep believing in the value of their work, despite the difficulties.”
Bonnie Friedman

“I think you must remember that a writer is a simple-minded person to begin with and go on that basis. He's not a great mind, he's not a great thinker, he's not a great philosopher, he's a story-teller.”
Erskine Caldwell

"A writer's voice is not character alone, it is not style alone; it is far more. A writer's voice line the stroke of an artist's brush- is the thumbprint of her whole person- her idea, wit, humor, passions, rhythms."
Patricia Lee Gauch

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."
Isaac Asimov


Bookmark and Share

No comments: