Monday, February 16, 2009

One of My Top 10 Freelance Writing Nightmares: Mark Wahlberg


This was back in 2000.

I was working for an edgy, Gen-X golf magazine called Maximum Golf, a great pub that, unfortunately, died too young soon after 9/11.

With my golf clubs in tow, a royal pain in the neck to begin with, I flew all the way from New York City to Beverly Hills to interview Mark Wahlberg, who was doing publicity for his then-new movie The Yards.

We were supposed to chat during our round together. Tee time was scheduled for 3 in the afternoon.

Well, after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, he never showed up.

I mean..

NEVER SHOWED UP! ARE YOU F--KING KIDDING ME? I JUST FLEW ACROSS THE COUNTRY FOR YOU, FOR CRISSAKES! WHERE IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?

In fact, I didn't hear a thing from the guy until a bottle of champagne arrived at my hotel room. A small card was attached to it. Said he was sorry. Sorry? Who gives a rat's a-- if he's sorry?

I blew three days of my life (which included watching a private screening of his flick) and a major paycheck (around 8 grand).

Do I really need to tell you I've never seen another one of his movies since?



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Wow, Mike, that is horrible! Just horrible! :-\