Sunday, February 8, 2009

Writing Quotes of the Day


"One of the most difficult things is the first paragraph. I have spent many months on a first paragraph, and once I get it, the rest just comes out very easily. In the first paragraph you solve most of the problems with your book. The theme is defined, the style, the tone."
Gabriel Garcia Marquez

"I have discovered that I cannot burn the candle at one end and write a book with the other."
Katherine Mansfield

"Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say."
Sharon O'Brien

"Everywhere I go, I'm asked if I think the universities stifle writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher."
Flannery O'Connor

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."
William Somerset Maugham

"Character in decay is the theme of the great bulk of superior fiction."
HL Mencken

"Criticism hurt me when I had failures. I thought: I'll never write another play: But I'm an alligator. Only the alligators remain. The others get out of the water."
Arthur Miller

"The pages are still blank, but there is a miraculous feeling of the words being there, written in invisible ink and clamoring to become visible."
Vladimir Nabokov

"I can fix bad writing. I can't fix a blank page."
Nora Roberts

"Writing is just having a sheet of paper, a pen and not a shadow of an idea of what you are going to say."
Francoise Sagan


Bookmark and Share

No comments: