Saturday, February 14, 2009

Writing Quotes of the Day


"All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath."
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"In literature the ambition of the novice is to acquire the literary language: the struggle of the adept is to get rid of it."
George Bernard Shaw

"When I was a little boy, they called me a liar, but now that I am grown up, they call me a writer."
Isaac Bashevis Singer

"A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits."
Edith Sitwell

"Perversity is the muse of modern literature."
Susan Sontag

"Unless the bastards (critics) have the courage to give you unqualified praise, I say ignore them."
John Steinbeck

"Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else."
Gloria Steinem

"The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish. Robert Louis Stevenson
All speech, written or spoken, is a dead language, until it finds a willing and prepared hearer."
Robert Louis Stevenson


"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written or badly written. That is all."
Oscar Wilde

"All you have to do is close your eyes and wait for the symbols."
Tennessee Williams




Bookmark and Share

No comments: